Russ Breault ~ Shroud Of Turin: Past, Present, Future
Russ Breault believes there is a 90% chance that the Shroud Of Turin is authentic.
Apologetics is the branch of theology that is concerned with defending or proving the truth of Christian doctrines.
A field of Christian theology which aims to present a rational basis for the Christian faith.
Why do you believe what you believe.
The Shroud falls within the field of apologetics.
The resurrection is the centerpiece of the Christian faith. “If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith.” I Corinthians 15:14
“If Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile.” I Corinthians 15:17
The resurrection is a settled historic fact:
- The Shroud is not necessary for belief in the resurrection.
- Not blind faith.
- It is a matter of faith based on fact.
- What are the proof points other than the Shroud?
The apostles referred to the resurrection as a factual event. I Corinthians 15:3-6 There are about six post resurrection appearances. The Jews never questioned the empty tomb! They alleged the disciples stole the body. How? Pilate put soldiers to guard the tomb. For what purpose? All the apostles except John died as martyrs. These apostles were all eye witnesses to these events.
- Apostles were from Galilee.
- Why didn’t they go home?
- The Temple.
- The Empty Tomb!
- All the Romans or Jews needed to do was…
- Produce the dead body of Jesus!
- Resorted to persecution in AD 37.
Evidence of Transformation
- Only 7 weeks after the resurrection, Peter with boldness stands in the Temple Court and challenges the very authorities who called for Christ’s crucifixion.
- Not possible without complete assurance of the resurrection. Acts 4:9-11
Martyrdom of the Apostles – All they had to do was deny the resurrection!
Are there non-biblical historical records that validate what the Scriptures claim? There are over twenty non-Christian sources between 30 and 130 AD. They all refer to Jesus as a historical figure. Twelve mentioned his death by crucifixion. Ten refer to His resurrection!
With or without the shroud, the resurrection is a historic fact. The shroud can give us further insight.
Is the Shroud Proof?
- No…not scientifically
- The possibility is staggering
- It could be the most important artifact on the planet!
- The ultimate apologetic
The Shroud: Past-Present-Future
Message through History
The image was rediscovered in Edessa, Turkey in the sixth century, described as the true likeness of Christ, not made with human hands. The icon images all changed from this point on, imitating the shroud. There are coins from this time with over 180 points of congruence with the shroud.
II Corinthians 4:4
Jesus is the image of the invisible God. Hebrews 1:3
To see Jesus is to see God.
- Roman Emperor Caligula who reigned from 37-41 A.D. was the first to demand worship. All other emperors who followed, demanded the same.
- Thousands of Christians would die as martyrs refusing to worship the emperor or his image.
The Image as Theology
- Early images based on the “True Likeness” were used to confront paganism.
- Later use was to combat heresy and Gnosticism. I John 4:1-3
Message to the Church today
- Remember your first love. Revelation 2:4
- You are not your own; you were bought at a price. I Corinthians 6:19-20
- The church of God, which he purchased with his own blood. Acts 20:28
The shroud is a relic, a symbol, a mystery and an artifact.
A Prophetic Message To The Church
The resurrection had no eye witnesses.
What happened in the tomb? The key to the future is the past. Matthew 28:3 The Transfiguration Matthew 17:2
Conversion of Saul Acts 9:3-8
Has God reserved the shroud for us in the twentieth century as proof of the resurrection?
We are looking for the glorious appearing. The blessed hope. Titus 2:11-14 I John 3:2-3
The power of the resurrection is the power of the Holy Spirit within you! The shroud represents a future event- the coming of the Lord. Hebrews 9:28
The next event on the church calendar is the rapture of the saints.
The message of the shroud is BELIEVE!